Master of Music (M.M.)

The Department of Music awards the Master of Music degree in three major areas of study:

     • Jazz Studies

     • Music Education

     • Performance

Jazz Studies and Music Education majors study an orchestral instrument, organ, piano or voice (i.e., their principal instrument or voice) as a minor.

Performance majors study an instrument, piano or voice (i.e., their principal instrument or voice) as a major, devoting substantially more time and receiving more credit than non-performance majors studying the same instrument or voice.

Select a major area of study above to read more detailed information about that major.

View a complete list of Graduate Course Offerings.

Page Last Updated: 2022-01-26 5:17 PM EST

Undergraduate Degrees & Programs

Bachelor of Music (B.M.)

The Bachelor of Music is a professional degree program for undergraduate music majors. The Department of Music awards the Bachelor of Music degree in seven major areas of study:

     • Elective Studies in Business

     • Composition

     • Jazz Studies

     • Music Education

     • Music History

     • Music Therapy

     • Performance

Select a major area of study above to learn more about that major.

Page Top

Music Minor (for Academic Majors)

A student enrolled as a major in another field in the College of Arts and Sciences may apply to enter the Department of Music as a Music Minor. A minor is a degree program requiring fewer hours than a major.

After a successful audition and approval by the Department of Music Chair, the student will consult with the appropriate Area Coordinator to devise a scheme of courses totaling a minimum of 18 credit hours. All music minor course schemes must be designed in consultation wth the Department of Music Area Coordinator directing the desired area of concentration.

Music minors will also take both the Theory and Piano placement exams.

     Music Minor – Non-Jazz Emphasis

     Music Minor – Jazz Emphasis

For additional information regarding the Music Minor program, please contact the Department of Music Area Coordinator directing your desired area of concentration:

Classical Instrument Fred Irby, III, M.M.
Coordinator of Instrumental Music
Childers Hall, Room B-002
(202) 806-7066
Classical Piano Karen Walwyn, D.M.A.
Coordinator of Keyboard Studies
Childers Hall, Room 3020 
(202) 806-7092
Classical Voice Liana Valente, D.M.A.
Coordinator of Classical Voice
Childers Hall, Room 3029
(202) 806-7135
Jazz Instrument and Jazz Piano Charlie Young, III, M.M.
Coordinator of Instrumental Jazz Studies
Childers Hall, Room SB-3
(202) 806-7872
Jazz Voice Connaitre Miller, M.M.
Coordinator of Vocal Jazz Studies
Childers Hall, Room 3026
(202) 806-7097

Page Top

Academic Minor (for Music Majors)

NOTE: The academic minor does not replace private instruction and other courses labeled "minor" in the various music curricula.

A minor is a degree program requiring fewer hours than a major. A music major may elect to pursue an academic minor in another undergraduate school or college at Howard University. Such minors will usually require 18 hours of credit which may be taken concurrently with the prescribed music curriculum. Students electing an academic minor may expect to add 6 to 12 hours to the total hours normally required for graduation.

The selection of an academic minor must be declared in writing and submitted to the music advisor and the student must consult with the appointed advisor in the academic field.

Page Top

Private Lessons for Students Enrolled Outside the Department of Music

Registration for private instruction in music performance (vocal or instrumental) by students enrolled in degree programs other than those offered by the Department of Music requires the approval of the Associate Dean of the Division of Fine Arts. Such approval will be granted only after the student has been interviewed and/or auditioned, and only when space in private performance classes permits. These courses are listed as Oboe Major I, Voice Minor III, etc.

Fees.  There may be additional fees assessed for non-majors receiving private one-on-one instruction in music performance.

Note: Majors in the School of Education who enroll in the courses "An Introduction to the Fine Arts" and "Fine Arts in the Elementary Schools" will be required to study the piano if they do not already possess minimal skills as determined by the instructor. Such instruction will be provided as a part of the course and no additional charges will accrue.

Practice Rooms.  Practice rooms are provided by the Department of Music only for music majors, music minors, and other students of the Department, including those enrolled in private instruction and members of listed ensembles. Students enrolled in private or group lessons are expected to practice daily.

Page Top